Hook Norton
Pets: 01608 730501
Equine & Farm: 01608 730085
Charlbury
Pets: 01608 811250
Deddington
Pet: 01869 337732
Emergencies
01608 730085 / 730501

News

Winter Hazards – Antifreeze Toxicity in Cats

January 4, 2018 | by kate.allen@hooknortonvets.co.uk | Pets

Ethylene Glycol is the official name for antifreeze and it is highly toxic to cats. Antifreeze can be found in car radiators and many screen washes. It is sometimes added to ponds and fountains during the winter months.

Ethylene Glycol has a sweet taste, which is why cats become attracted to it. They may drink from a puddle or pond it has been added to, or walk in some which had been spilt or leaked from a car and later lick their paws.

It is rapidly absorbed into the body after ingestion, and can be fatal. Symptoms of antifreeze toxicity vary in severity and depends on the time since exposure. Some symptoms you may see include:

  • Lethargy or weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Wobbling or falling over
  • Appearing ‘drunk’
  • Twitching of the body or eyes
  • Seizures

 

Ways to protect your cat from antifreeze toxicity include avoiding using products containing Ethylene Glycol. If using these products then careful storage, cleaning up any spillages and not to using in garden ponds or fountains are all important.

If you know or suspect that your cat has ingested antifreeze then you must seek veterinary help immediately as this can be fatal. Don’t hesitate to call the Small Animal department on 01608 730501 if you want further advice. 

Written by Katy Allen RVN

Written by kate.allen@hooknortonvets.co.uk

 Back to news
 

Categories

Sign up to our newsletters

Select the newsletters you'd like to receive

 Facebook


Hook Norton Pets: 01608 730501 Equine & Farm: 01608 730085
Charlbury Pets: 01608 811250
Deddington Pets: 01869 337732
Emergencies 01608 730085 / 730501
Get in touch Send us a message