The Walker family have been associated with the care and welfare of animals dating back to 1674 when the earliest records show there was a farrier in Long Compton named John Walker. The Walkers remained in Long Compton until 1949 when Alan’s father, Jack, moved to Burmington. Before 1881 it was possible to act as a Vet without being a member of the RCVS. One of Alan’s ancestors, Bracy Clark, was one of the first students to attend the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, newly formed in 1791; he was reputed to lead the first horse into the infirmary for examination; he then wrote about the outstanding racehorse of his day, Eclipse, unbeaten just like Frankel during his racing career.
Alan joined his father in 1981, which marked the start of the practice in its present form. From humble beginnings in a wooden shed at Burmington through enlargement to the premises in the village of Hook Norton before moving to the present site in 2002.
Having been involved in the practice’s development to modern hospital facilities, Alan retired from the Partnership in 2006, but as the practice continues to grow and thrive, he is still able to contribute and play an active part by working part-time in a consultancy role, as well as regularly attending meets at the Stratford Racecourse.
Hook Norton Veterinary Group
Hook Norton Hospital
White Hills Surgery, Sibford Road
Hook Norton, Banbury, Oxon, OX15 5DG
Pets: 01608 730501
Equine & Farm: 01608 730085
For sat nav please use OX15 5DF